The Port of Brisbane is one of Australia’s fastest growing container ports, and Queensland’s largest general cargo port.
The Port of Brisbane is located at the mouth of the Brisbane River, and is managed and developed by the Port of Brisbane Pty Ltd (PBPL), under a 99-year lease from the Queensland Government.
PBPL’s role as defined by the port lease, includes:
- the maintenance and development of the port and related facilities
- operation of the Brisbane Multimodal Terminal
- leasing and managing land for port-related services
- facilitation of the development approval process for developments on Brisbane core port land
- maintaining navigable access to the port for commercial shipping
- operating the Visitors Centre.
Other port operations including stevedoring and towage, are carried out by private operators who lease land from PBPL. Vessel traffic services are the responsibility of the Queensland Department of Transport and Main Roads and pilotage services are carried out by a private operator.